Saturday, December 9, 2023

What I've been up to this last year

Hi everyone, it's me. I haven't posted anything in more than a year. I'm still alive, and I've been doing pretty well lately, it's just that several months ago one of the players at my table asked me if we could take a break from the campaign I was running because he wanted to run an adventure he came up with set in the A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones universe (he's a very big fan of the books). Long story short, I agreed, he took up the DM's mantle and I rolled a PC, we all had fun in the first few sessions, and then we kinda just kept playing that campaign. We're still playing it currently, my PC is a level 4 fighter from the free city of Tyrosh who looks a lot like basketball hall of famer Dennis Rodman. When I rolled him up I randomly got Tyrosh as my place of birth, and after asking my DM what kind of place that was, he told me that it was a mercantile city-state east of Westeros across the sea, famed for its mercenaries who dye their hair and beards crazy colors and wear flashy outfits. A couple of weeks earlier I had rewatched Double Team, starring Jean-Claude Van Damme and Dennis Rodman, and Rodman's character was the first thing that came to mind when I started imagining what my PC looked like. Several sessions ago, I commissioned an in-game oil painting of him for a ton of gold pieces as part of a plan to steal an item we needed from a famous portrait painter. 


Should look something like this once it's finished.
(The original painting is attributed to Giovanni Batista Moroni)

Only bad news is that, ever since I stopped DMing my campaign, I haven't had many ideas for blog posts about D&D. Last week I finally ran something again though, a one-shot of Ben Milton's The Waking of Willowby Hall, since one of the players couldn't make the session and we didn't want to venture into the dungeon without her. I thought about writing a review of it, but I didn't really get to run much of the dungeon since my players spent the ~3 and a half hours of playtime fighting the giant around the entrance of the mansion. All I'm going to say is that it was pretty crazy and pretty fun, and my players managed to kill the giant, albeit with heavy casualties. Definitely would recommend it.

Other than that, back in January I finally caved in and bought a PS5. I finally got to play Elden Ring, Bloodborne, Sekiro and Armored Core 6 and I really loved all of them. I also started working on developing a small video game with a friend of mine. I've been learning 3d modeling in a program called Blender and making the assets for the game, and he's doing all the coding. It's been very fun and I hope that we can finish it and release it sometime in the future. Eventually we would like to work on a longer, bigger, OSR-inspired adventure game.


a lil sword I made

That's it for now. If you're reading this, I hope you're doing well and I wish you happy holidays. Might post more things later on. Peace ✌️

2 comments:

  1. Wait, so you are using an OSR ruleset and setting the campaign in Westeros? Or are you using one of the ASOIAF rules (I think Rob Schwalb did that one?)

    That videogame development sounds like a brilliant thing in the making

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Adrian! We're using B/X, Westeros is just the setting. Forgot to mention that. The game has played out mostly like your average D&D campaign: we go into dungeons looking for magic items, we fight monsters, we travel from one town to another and run into bandits, etc.

    The main thing that sets it apart is that there are some extremely intricate political schemes going on in the background that often trickle down to us or are influenced by our actions. For example, we pretty much ignited a huge civil war near the beginning of the campaign when we unknowingly killed a very important prince from house Lannister who we ran into and attacked us. Ever since that happened we've been avoiding anyone wearing the Lannister coat of arms like the plague.

    Happy holidays and hope you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete